Following a lovely day at the ballet, I’m ready for a quiet relaxing evening, with a perfect weekend meal of a sweet chickpea tagine and cous-cous.
This tagine is a sort of heat-free curry, with lots of healthy veg and chickpeas and some apricots and cinnamon to add sweetness.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 courgettes, diced
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150g baby leaf spinach
- approx. 10 dried apricots
- 125ml veg stock
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
Cover and sweat the onion in a little olive oil for a few minutes until softened then add the butternut squash, followed by the red pepper and courgette.
Fry for a few minutes then stir in the garlic, ginger, spices and apricots.
Pour in the veg stock and tinned tomatoes, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, adding the chickpeas and spinach for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Scatter with chopped coriander and serve with cous-cous (and wine!)